CALL 719-725-4707 BEFORE BUYING A WOOD YARD PERMIT -This is due to the constant fluctuation in available wood at the wood yard.
The Fort Carson Wood Collection Program Is Operating On An Appointment Basis Only For The Wood Yard Due To Covid-19. Call The Forester At (719) 725-4707 To Make An Appointment To Get Your Firewood. Downrange Wood Collection Is Allowed Only At Turkey Creek Recreation Area And TA 20 At This Time.
AS OF 10/12/21 - THE WOOD YARD - WOOD SPLITTER IS NOT AVAILABLE RIGHT NOW - IT HAS GONE FOR REPAIRS AND MAINTENANCE.
***NOTICE: NEW PROCEDURES FOR WOOD YARD ACCESS USING KEY CHECK-OUT. SEE DETAILS BELOW
Firewood collection is available on Fort Carson, but is to be collected for personal use only. Firewood collected on Fort Carson cannot be collected for a commercial enterprise or resold.
Procedure on How to Obtain a Firewood Collection Permit
Options and prices are below. Regardless of which option you choose to collect firewood, a Fort Carson Wood Collection permit is required. The firewood collection program is completely run on iSportsman now (permits must be purchased using a credit or debit card through iSportsman and CANNOT be bought with a check or money order at the office anymore). Furthermore, downrange wood collection requires completion of the online Range Safety Brief, annually, and checking in to get a Downrange Pass, which is all done on iSportsman. Wood collection at Turkey Creek Recreation Area does NOT require a downrange pass, but collection on the rest of Fort Carson does require a downrange pass. Also, the wood splitter permit requires completion of the annual wood splitter video. DOWNRANGE WOOD COLLECTION PERMITS AND WOOD SPLITTER PERMITS WILL NOT SHOW UP UNTIL YOU COMPLETE THE REQUIRED TRAINING.
Steps to operate iSportsman for wood collection permits and TA 20 access:
- You must complete a one-time Registration on iSportsman, which means you will set up your personal account. If you have not done this yet go to “Account Register & Log In Site" at the top of the page and select "Register" from the drop down. After you create your account, henceforth, you will select “Login” from the dropdown to access your account. Please see the home page for further information about registering and accounts on iSportsman.
- You must access your account to buy permits, take the downrange safety brief and/or wood splitter training video, get a downrange pass, to change or update your personal information, and to see your history and other relevant information.
- To buy a “Wood Yard” permit, after logging into your account, go to “Acquire Permits” at the top and select “Wood Yard permit”.
- To buy a "Wood Splitter" permit, You must first take the annual wood splitter training video by ging to “My Safety Briefs” in the blue bar at thetop of the screen. Select the hyperlink that says, "Ft. Carson Wood Cutting Brief", read the instructions, and complete the wood splitter traiig video/brief. The Wood Splitter permit will not be visible until you complete your annual wood splitter training.
- After completion, you will be directed to the permits page to purchase your permit (permits can be bought at that time or later, if needed).
- To collect wood downrange and get a “Down Range Firewood” permit,
- You must first take the annual range safety brief by going to “My Safety Briefs” in the blue bar at the top of the screen. Select the hyperlink, read the instructions, and complete the range safety brief. Downrange wood collection permits will not be visible until you complete your annual Range Safety Brief.
- After completion, you will be directed to the permits page to purchase your permit (permits can be bought at that time or later, if needed). Please see the home page for further information about the range safety brief.
- On weekends only, to go to the wood collection site downrange in TA 20 you must obtain a Downrange Pass, which can only be obtained after completion of the safety brief and purchase of downrange wood permit inside your account.
- Click on blue “Checkin / Checkout” tab and complete each prompt to get your downrange pass.
- Customers must check out in person - before 2130 at the Range Control building 9550 (located on the eastern end of Wildlerness Road).
- If iSportsman is down and you can't login and get a pass on the weekend, go to the range control building and manually check in and out for access.
- During the week for access to TA 20, go to range control, Bldg 9550 or call (719) 526-6330 to see if access to TA 20 is available. If it is, you will go to range control and get your downrange pass and check in and out at their office.
- To access Turkey Creek Recreational Area for wood collection you do not need a downrange pass - simply access the area via highway 115 with your permit and valid identification.
General Information and Safety
- The prescribing directives are: Army Regulation (AR) 200-1, AR 405-90, and AR 420-74 (DA PAM 420-7).
- Customers must abide by all applicable federal, state, county, and Fort Carson regulations. Violations can result in ticketing and fines.
- Individuals not following the requirements specified herein will be required to forfeit all forest products authorized by this permit, and will not receive any additional permits.
- As with all activities on Fort Carson, military activities have priority over activities authorized on these permits.
- Firewood collection is NOT available on Piñon Canyon Maneuver Site.
- Proceeds from your wood collection permit purchases are used for forest habitat improvement projects.
- The customer will provide all necessary labor, equipment and vehicle support for wood collection.
- All customers operating under these permits will clean and remove all personal equipment, trash, debris, etc. and will not block roadways.
- It is highly recommended that customers use safety equipment at all times (e.g., helmet, eye and ear protection, chaps, gloves, steel toe boots, etc.)
- All chainsaws used on Fort Carson must have a spark arrester.
- Spcial circumstances, such as military training, fire ban levels,wet conditions, and firewood availability can result in temporary changes to the guidelines provided on this webpage, including wood yard and downrange wood collection.
- Installation Forester: 719-526-1667 or 719-725-4707
- Directorate of Public Works (DPW) Forestry Office: Building 1219 at the corner of Wetzel Ave. and Evans St., 3rd Floor
- iSportsman Assistance: 719-526-8006
- Range Control: 719-526-5698
- Military Police: 719-526-2333
Fort Carson offers the following two wood collection options:
Collection through the main installation wood yard
The main installation wood yard program contains wood generated from routine maintenance or removal of tree(s) within the main post, which is processed into firewood and delivered to the wood yard. The selection of wood will vary, so it is best to call the Installation Forester for the types of wood currently available.
Location and Contact Information
- The wood yard is only available for wood collection Monday-Friday 7:30am-3:00pm. The wood yard gate is normally locked, unless DPW employees have it open for work purposes or someone is collecting wood.
- If the gate is locked, those with a valid Wood Yard permit will need to check-out a gate key by following the procedures below.
- The wood yard is located near the Installation Recycle Center, building 155. The recycle center is located west of the Railhead Loading Area that is approximately a ¼ of a mile from the corner of Wickersham Blvd. and Specker Ave.
- For questions or assistance call 719-526-1329 or 719-526-8006, or come to the DPW Forestry Office in building 1219, 3rd floor.
***Wood Yard Gate Key Procedures
- The wood yard gate key is available for those with a valid Wood Yard permit.
- The wood yard gate key will be kept in a locked box at the DPW building 1219, 3rd floor and will be available for check-out on a daily basis. Anyone within DPW Conservation, those offices located on 3rd floor - middle section of the building, can assist with checking out the key to those with a valid Wood Yard permit.
- The key is available for check-out during the same hours as the wood yard, Monday-Friday 7:30 am-3:00 pm. BE AWARE that DPW bldg. 1219 is locked after 4:00 pm Monday-Friday. If the key is not returned before DPW bldg. doors are locked, return the key as soon as possible the next business day.
- Late key returns may result in account holds and restrictions for future wood collection access. Failing to return the key will result in restriction to future wood collection. Access restrictions will be determined by the DPW Forester.
- The Wood Yard has a wood splitter available for customers, on a first-come-first-serve basis.
- In order to get a wood splitter permit, the customer must complete the wood splitter training video/brief annually, before use. After completion of the video, you will be able to buy wood splitter permits for the year, which expires 31 March, each year. This video will need to be completed once annually, between April 1 and March 31.
- When the wood splitter is down it will be posted on the iSportsman home page and at the wood yard. Call the Installation Forester for more information.
Wood Yard Permit Prices
- Wood is sold by the ½ cord, with a maximum of two ½ cords per permit.
- ½ cord of wood or less - $32.00
- Wood Splitter (rental per ½ cord or less) - $8.00
- Wood yard permits are valid for three days from the date of purchase to allow the customer time to collect the total quantity of wood on the permit.
The downrange firewood program is a cut-your-own program at designated locations within training and recreation areas downrange. The cutting areas are identified based on forest thinning projects, fire mitigation projects, and wood salvage projects in burnt over areas. Wood species usually available for collection include cottonwood, scrub oak, pinyon pine. With the exception of the Turkey Creek Recreation Area, all other areas are controlled by Range Control and require a downrange pass. Information on acquiring a permit, taking the range safety brief, and getting a downrange pass is shown at the top of this page.
Downrange Collection Rules and Guidelines
- Downrange wood collection is for dead trees only, unless specifically identified through the iSportsman permit process, and only in specified areas marked for downrange wood collection by forestry personnel.
- Cutting at locations other than specified on the permit is strictly prohibited.
- Wood can only be collected downrange between dawn and dusk (daylight hours), unless specified here and/or on the downrange pass.
- The permit and a copy of the map MUST remain in the vehicle at all times while cutting/hauling firewood, and both must be available for inspection at all times.
- Only empty vehicles are permitted into the cutting area. All wood found in vehicle is assumed to be taken under the current permit.
- Protect standing and downed snags marked as wildlife habitat. Taking trees (dead or alive) marked as wildlife habitat is strictly prohibited.
- Areas and trees marked as “excluded for collection” with tape or paint are off limits and cannot be cut or collected, unless specified otherwise.
- The removal of artifacts is strictly prohibited.
- Stumps must be cut to within four inches of the ground on the uphill side.
- Slash will be scattered so as to not exceed 12 inches in height, and shall not be left in the roadways or trails.
- Only a maximum of one cord per permit can be collected per day.
- HIGHLY RECOMMEND the use of safety equipment at all times (helmet, eye and ear protection, chaps, gloves, steel toe boots, etc.).
- Inspect the tree for hazards prior to cutting.
- Felling of trees is not allowed within 200 feet of other wood collection customers or activities.
Downrange Collection Prices
- Downrange firewood collection permits are valid for a time period specified below to allow the customer time to collect the total quantity of wood on the permit.
- Wood is sold in the following quantities:
- ½ cord of wood or less - $10.00
- ½ Cord Permit is valid for 7 days from date of purchase
- One cord of wood or less (you have to purchase another cord, after your current permit expires, if you want two total) - $15.00 a cord
- One cord permits are valid for 14 days (per cord) from the date of purchase
- Three cords of wood or less - $40.00
- Three Cord Permit is valid for 30 days from the date of purchase
- ½ cord of wood or less - $10.00
Downrange Wood Collection Area Maps